For a man, sperm needs to be healthy and as many as possible to maximize the chances of conception. The following steps should be considered before trying to conceive to improve the quality of your sperm:
- Add antioxidant to your diet- These include foods that are rich in vitamin c and other minerals like selenium and zinc which are known to boost the health of the male sperm
- Having frequent sex improves the quality and mortality of sperm as there is enough circulation
- Reduce the amount of soy intake. Research shows that men who consume soy have a lower sperm count.
- Staying away from toxic chemicals is a great way to ensure that his sperm is healthy. Men who work as farmers and painters are especially vulnerable to low sperm counts.
- Lifestyle changes such as quitting smoking can improve the quality of your sperm.
- Avoid long hot baths and soaks in the tub to improve fertility. This is because the testes need a cool environment to work properly.
- Wear boxers instead of briefs to allow better air circulation and is ideal in increasing fertility.
The following steps should be taken to improve her fertility chances:
- Keep a healthy body weight based on Your BMI.
- Always stay hydrated- Cervical mucus gets sticky when you don’t consume enough water. Light-ish yellow urine is a good indicator that you are sufficiently hydrated.
- Avoid caffeine
- Always keep your gynecologist appointment- aim to have a checkup at least yearly.
- Manage stress levels by engaging in activities that help you decompress.
- Exercise in moderation
- Check the type of prescription drugs that you are currently using. Some drugs are known to impact negatively on conception
- Consumption of alcohol should be done in moderation.
- Stop smoking
- Eat a diet rich in antioxidants and minerals. Antioxidants destroy any free radicals that could harm egg cells. Zinc and folate are especially useful for this.
- Swap refined sugars with complex carbs. A diet rich in refined sugars has been known to increase insulin levels which is harmful to fertility.
With sex and conception at the forefront, the above tips should improve fertility for a couple who are trying to conceive. Keep at it and see if it works for you!
Please note that development differs from one child to another.
Content intended for educational purposes only, and not a substitute for medical advice from your doctor.
Be careful when using any products mentioned on this website. We hold no regulations for such products or their providers.
Last reviewed March 2019