Heatstroke, for instance, occurs when your child is extremely overheated. Let’s talk about ways you can ensure your baby is comfortably warm without going overboard.
What Is Heatstroke?
Heatstroke is a serious condition that can lead to death. It happens when a child becomes too overheated. The temperature of the body rises and its ability to cool off shuts down. Your baby is vulnerable to heat stroke if they stay too long in an extremely hot environment. Read more on how to dress your baby right here.
The risk increases when:-
- Your baby is dressed too warmly
- He/she is dehydrated
- Riding in a hot car – car temperatures rise higher than the outside environment
It is recommended to avoid car rides during extremely hot weather. This may be experienced in areas such as Mombasa and Garrissa as they experience extremely high temperatures. Try to travel earlier during the day if it’s necessary.
Signs of a Heat stroke
It is important to be mindful of your child to identify any signs of heatstroke. Some of the signs include:-
- Rise in body temperature
- Heavily sweating
- Rapid pulse
- Dry mouth and skin
- Shallow or rapid breathing
- Being sleepy or floppy
What to do in case of Heatstroke
In case your baby shows any of the above signs, you need to act swiftly. A dehydrated child may recover by drinking water. However, when the situation escalates to any signs of heatstroke your baby will require immediate treatment. Your baby can easily slip into unconsciousness. While rushing to the nearest hospital you should bring his temperature down by:-
- Undressing your baby completely
- Lay your baby down in a cool area
- Use a cool wet cloth to pat your baby down
- Fan your baby
- Keep your baby calm by talking
Do not give your baby anything to drink at this point
How to Avoid Heatstroke
- Dress your baby with loose-fitting and lightweight clothing
- Keep your baby in shady areas
- Encourage the intake of more fluids during hot weather to avoid dehydration
- Keep your baby indoors during extremely hot weather
- Ensure the car is cool during rides on hot days
- Use a fan if your home is too hot – your baby should not sit next to the fan
- Adjust the air conditioner to a friendly temperature about 24-26 degrees Celsius
#Please note that development differs from one child to another. Content intended for educational purposes only, and should not be substituted for medical advice from your doctor.
#Be careful when using any products mentioned on this website. We hold no regulations for such products or their providers.
Last reviewed January 2019