Despite that, there is always the feeling and joy that makes every expectant mum to endure the whole period, and that is looking forward to holding their bundle of joy in their arms once it’s born.
Communicating with Your Unborn Baby
During pregnancy, there is still a strong attachment between mother and baby. There is just a way the baby gets to communicate and bond with the mother while it’s still in the womb.
And that is why you will hear an expectant mum say when she eats or drinks something that makes the baby in the womb excited, it will start to kick, or when she even rubs her belly or sings to the baby, the baby will react by kicking.
When an expectant mum makes a connection with her unborn child, it helps strengthen their bond, and love even before birth.
How Can You Bond with Your Unborn Baby?
During pregnancy, there are several ways a mother can bond with her unborn child:
- Massaging your bump-When you massage your bump, you tend to feel the baby increase its kicks meaning that a connection has happened between you two. It excites the baby and is also a great way to relax.
- Singing and talking to your baby-Well, this may seem absurd-to talk and sing to someone in the belly whom you have not even seen-but there is something about music that creates a calming effect and soothes the nerves. It reaches a stage during pregnancy when a baby’s hearing is developing all the time hence it gets to enjoy the music or noises made from the outside world.
- Having a bath-There is no better way to relax than having a warm bath. And for every expectant mum, this technique provides a great opportunity for you to devote some attention to the baby. You can also choose to play some music while having a bath for a soothing ambience.
- Swimming-this is also a great way to relax, perhaps after a long exhausting week for every expectant mum. It is a safe way to exercise during pregnancy and also provides a chance for the mother to relate with the unborn child.
- Going for a walk– taking some time out to bond with your unborn child is also a great way to relax. It’s also one perfect exercise that doctors recommend for every expectant mum and as you take that stroll while observing nature, it enables you to think more about your unborn baby without too many distractions and what you have planned for them.
Dads, or other caregivers also get to bond with the baby by:
- Rubbing the mum’s belly hence feel the baby move.
- Speaking to the baby, which will help him or her become familiar with the dad’s voice. Accompanying their wives to the antenatal clinics so that he becomes part of the pregnancy period.
- Singing to the baby.
Pregnancy is a beautiful and exciting period and every mum-to-be should strive to treasure the wonderful moments they share with her unborn child.
#Please note that development differs from one child to another.
#Content intended for educational purposes only, and should not be substituted for medical advice from your doctor.
Last reviewed January 2019