Is Sex Safe While Pregnant?
Sex during pregnancy will not harm your baby. It is even safe for your partner to be on top, though only in the first few months. Usually, the uterine muscles and the amniotic sac protect the unborn baby. Additionally, the mucus plug that covers the cervix protects the baby from possible infections.
Change in Sex Drive
While pregnant, your sex drive may increase or reduce. Women often get worried when their libido drops. It is essential, then, to learn that changes in libido are unique to a person.
What Causes This Change?
Changes in hormonal levels may lead to shifts in sexual desire. During gestation, there is a surge in both progesterone and estrogen, hormones that increase your sensitivity, lubrication and sexual response. Other factors that may change your libido include:
- Increased blood flow. During pregnancy, the amount of blood in your body increases. This may hike your desires for intimacy as it engorges your genitals.
- Perception of your body. Your feelings about your changed body psychologically determine your sexual feelings.
- Her partner’s desire. Your partner’s reassurance about your unique physicality has huge impact on your sex drive. His interest in sex may make you feel desired, hence boosting your libido.
Handling Shifts in Libido
There are various ways to work up your libido. These include:
- Exercises that are safe in pregnancy
- Healthy nutrition
- Improved confidence and self-image
- Honest discussions with your partner.
Are Contractions And Cramps During or After Sex Okay?
Cramping during and after orgasms are normal. They are mostly caused by increased blood flow to the abdominal region during pregnancy. However, if they are too painful or last much longer after sex, then they may be a sign of other serious issues such as:
- Early labor
- Ectopic pregnancy
Comfort During Sex
Sometimes, you may feel uncomfortable in your usual sex positions. Being creative may help to reactivate and maintain your sex life. It’s good to try a position that is:
- Makes you feel closer to your partner
- Brings more orgasmic pleasure
Some of the favorite positions during pregnancy include:
- Doggy pillow- involves using a pillow during doggy sex to enhance support
- Spooning- Suitable when the bump makes it hard for face-to-face sex
- Classic missionary- Enables a woman to lie back and relax during the act
- Side by side- Allows penetration from an angle, varying its depth and speed
- Woman on top- Stabilizes the woman during sex as well as saving her energy
If you are not up to penetrative sex, oral sex and mutual masturbation might maintain intimacy with your partner.
Please note that development differs from one child to another.
Content intended for educational purposes only, and not a substitute for medical advice from your doctor.
Be careful when using any products mentioned on this website. We hold no regulations for such products or their providers.
Last reviewed March 2019