About Antenatal Classes
Antenatal classes prepare you and your partner for labour, birth, feeding, and taking care of your newborn. It gives you much needed confidence as you approach your due date. Most antenatal classes will provide information about the following:-
- How to prepare yourself for labour
- Labour signs
- Labour stages
- Birthing positions
- Relaxation and breathing skills
- Early parenting
- Newborn behavior
The information offered during the class is quite important for both the mother and father. These classes also provide a chance to meet and speak to other soon-to-be parents.
Types of Antenatal Class
Antenatal classes vary according to activity and at times pregnancy duration. It is advisable to attend classes with knowledgeable and experienced trainers.
- Early pregnancy – it teaches women about their baby’s development, how to stay safe during pregnancy, and nutrition standards.
- Lamaze classes – they offer focused breathing techniques, support, and relaxation. Most who opt to attend Lamaze classes expect to go through normal labour and birth.
- Active Birth – teaches about birthing methods and positions
- Hypnobirthing – this offers techniques of deep meditation and relaxation. It is a pain management technique that can be used in labour and birth.
- Aqua antenatal classes – this is a sort of water exercise with a number of amazing benefits such as keeping you fit and trim (and who doesn’t want that!). But most importantly it helps ease pelvic strain and lower back pain.
- Antenatal yoga or pilates – well, the word yoga should let you know that this class focuses on deep relaxation and exercise form a holistic approach
Take your pick and immerse yourself into a community of expectant mothers.
Find your Antenatal Class today
Most private maternity institutions and The Kenyatta National Hospital provide Lamaze classes. You can also ask your midwife or doctor to direct you to a more advanced class mostly offered at birthing centres in Nairobi. If you prefer exercising at the comfort of your home, you may want to consider going online for available videos on Youtube.
Antenatal classes are frequently run by a physiotherapist, midwife or lactation consultant. It’s important that you attend an antenatal class for guidance of an ideal birthing plan. A birthing plan informs the medical team your preferences in regards to managing labor pain and emergency situations.
Please remember to ask your doctor as many questions as you need answers.
#Please note that development differs from one child to another
# Content intended for educational purposes only, and should not be substituted for medical advice from your doctor.
Last reviewed January 2019